Selenium is always mentioned when we talk about automation testing. Selenium is a popular automated testing tool used by developers and testers all around the world. However, the question remains as to why there are so many automation testing products on the market that provide nearly identical results. So, why Selenium alone?
This is something we’ll go into in-depth in the article. By the end of this article, you’ll be able to identify all of the advantages of utilizing Selenium for automation testing, as well as why it’s chosen over other automation testing tools.
What Is Selenium?
Let’s take a look at what Selenium is and why it’s utilized before we go into detail about its advantages.
Selenium is an open-source automation testing tool that automates tests on a variety of web browsers.
It comes with a toolkit that caters to a variety of business requirements.
- Selenium RC (now deprecated),
- Selenium IDE (Selenium Integrated Development Environment),
- Selenium Grid, and
- Selenium WebDriver, these are the four main tools available.
What then is the Purpose of Selenium?
Selenium is a tool for automating testing across many web browsers. Selenium WebDriver supports a variety of browsers, including Chrome, Mozilla, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer, and allows you to simply automate browser testing across different browsers.
On your computer screen, you can observe live automated tests being run. However, because there are so many tools for automation testing, the question we’ll be answering in this article still stands, which is why is selenium so popular for automation testing?
Selenium is a popular and extensively used browser automation tool. However, as the software business evolves, a slew of new competitors emerge, forcing us to ask a critical question:
Why is Selenium so widely used for automation testing?
Well, the question is subjective and complex, and there is no simple answer.
Let’s delve a little deeper!
Why Is Selenium So Popular? Selenium is undeniably popular. It might or might not be the best browser automation tool, but its popularity is undeniable. This open-source, free program has been the most popular option for many people.
What made Selenium Popular
- Selenium is a free and open-source testing tool: There are no out-of-pocket expenses in the beginning. You can download it for free by going to the official website. As if that wasn’t enough, a large community of users offers free support for the product. With this, Selenium for beginners is not a struggle. You can get started pretty easily.
- Working with Selenium also gives you the freedom to use any programming language you want: Although it has its scripting language, the tester is not bound by it. The reason is, Selenium is fairly robust in terms of language compatibility, it can effectively support all of the language bindings used by testers. To mention a few, you could use Selenium with Java, Selenium with C#, Selenium with Python, and a variety of other languages are included.
- Scripts Can Be Re-Run: Selenium allows recording scripts when in test run mode in the browser. It’s worth mentioning that you can store these scripts and run them again whenever you wish. Not only that, but you can also manually generate Selenium tests with web development tools like Firebug.
- Working With a Wide Range of Browsers: Another characteristic that demonstrates Selenium’s resilience is that the tests may be run in a wide range of browsers without any substantial limits. Not only that, but the program works well in a variety of settings, including Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. As a result, you can use Selenium regardless of the browser you’re using or the platform you’re on.
- When it comes to integrating with other third-party tools or software, Selenium is a very cooperative tool: It doesn’t limit the tester’s options when it comes to the testing framework. It is well-integrated with third-party applications. Other cloud-based online grids can also benefit from Selenium.
- In the testing lifecycle, flexibility is crucial: Selenium capabilities like test case regrouping and refactoring make this process easier and more efficient. This assists developers and testers in making quick code changes, eliminating duplication, decreasing complexity, and enhancing maintainability. These features assist Selenium to remain competitive by making it more adaptable and usable than other automated testing solutions.
- Selenium automation framework is a simple tool to use: Selenium has an intuitive user interface that makes it simple to build and run test scripts. You can also keep an eye on the tests while they are in progress. You can go into Selenium test reports in detail and take action based on them.
- Selenium scripts aren’t like developing a hundred-page sophisticated algorithm because they’re simple to learn and use: Selenium scripts are nothing more than a few lines of code that automate website functions. Additionally, the Selenium website documentation is quite beneficial for developers and testers who are just getting started with Selenium automated testing. Selenium tutorials, testing, and development help are all available through Google thanks to the rapidly growing community.
You may also use the Selenium IDE plugin for Firefox to develop Selenium scripts for future reference by using the record and play functionality.
- Constant Updates: Because Selenium is maintained by a community, and we all know how active communities don’t like to sit still, the Selenium community is continuously delivering updates and upgrades. The nice thing about having a community is that these changes are easily available and simple to grasp, so no special training is required. As a result, Selenium is both resourceful and cost-effective when compared to alternative technologies.
Since its inception in 2004, Selenium has grown in popularity as an automation testing tool. The high pace of development keeps testers on their toes, requiring them to constantly endeavor to keep up with and improve their skills. Because Selenium is an open-source and extremely efficient tool, it is used by a wide range of enterprises of all sizes, making it an important talent to have.
When it comes to choosing something from a large number of possibilities, we all know how picky we are. We become even more careful when selecting a tool, so you can take a chance here. There are many tools available to assist you with automation testing. Judging from the above explanation about the emergence of the popularity of Selenium as an automation testing tool. You shouldn’t have a problem choosing what is best for you. You may want to ask; Why, then, did Selenium become the metal of choice? So, I’ll leave it up to you to decide.