To understand cloud testing, you need to first understand the meaning of cloud.
What is Cloud?
Cloud is the space over the network of servers across the world which can store information, provides the services to run the software instead of on your own personal computer. You can access your information from different devices like phones, tabs, computers connected to the internet. If any of your devices like your phone or computer crashes, your information is still safe in the cloud and you access other devices. The cloud has database and application servers available to users for their service. The users can connect to cloud using the internet browsers like Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc. The security of your information is also ensured with the help of user accounts with passwords, security protocols, security steps implemented using the software that provides access to the cloud information. Google Drive and other services, Microsoft Office 365, Netflix, Youtube, etc provide the cloud services.
What is Cloud testing?
Cloud testing could be a software testing type within which software application is tested using cloud computing services. The most important purpose of cloud testing is to check the software for functional and non-functional requirements using cloud computing which confirms faster availability with scalability and suppleness to save lots of time and effort of software testing.
Cloud testing relies on the internet-based platform that renders various computing services like hardware, software, and other computer-related services. There are three models of Cloud computing
- SaaS- Software as a service
- PaaS- Platform as a service
- IaaS- Infrastructure as a service
Types of testing in cloud
The cloud testing concept is categorized into 4 categories
- Testing of the entire cloud: This cloud is viewed as a full entity and supports its features testing which is disbursed. Cloud and SaaS vendors in addition to end users prefer this kind of testing.
- Testing within the cloud: By checking each of its internal features, testing is performed. Only cloud vendors can perform this sort of testing.
- Testing across cloud: Testing is administered on different types of cloud like private, public and hybrid clouds.
- SaaS testing in cloud: Functional and non-functional testing is performed supported by application requirements.
Key characteristics of a cloud:
The characteristics of cloud testing are:
- On-demand services
What is cloud testing not?
It is not testing “The cloud”. We do not have to sit within the cloud and do the testing. It is not nearly testing the applications deployed in the cloud.
What is the need of cloud testing?
Some problems are solved like
- Business and testing problems
- It provides advantage like fits in a budget or economise
- It earns money because it could be a growing business area
How to do cloud testing?
- SaaS- SaaS testing is performed by cloud or also by SaaS vendors. The primary objective is to assure the quality standard of the provided service functions which is obtained in a cloud or SaaS program. Testing is performed within this environment which is integration, functional, security, system function validation.
- Online based application testing cloud- Online vendors perform testing which checks the performance and functional features of the cloud based services. When these applications are connected with legacy systems, the quality of the connectivity between the legacy system and under test application on a cloud is validated.
- Cloud based application testing over clouds- It is to test the quality standard of a cloud based application across the various clouds where this type of testing is performed.
Challenges in cloud testing
- Data security and privacy
A cloud application is multi-tenant in nature where the risk of information theft remains. Cloud testing strategy, users are provided with assurance about the safety of their data by suppliers.
- Short notice period
Cloud provider provides a short notice period of (1-2) weeks to the prevailing customers about upgrades. This is an enormous problem when manually validating the changes to our SaaS application.
- Data Migration
Data Migration from cloud provider to different may be a challenge as both providers can have different database schemas and it requires plenty of effort to grasp the information fields, relationships, and also how they’re mapped across SaaS applications.