What is a domain?
A domain is a field or industry or a type of business. For e.g.: Health insurance, banking, retail, telecom etc. A client project is from a domain.
How to create a domain in ALM?
In order to Create a Domain project in ALM Domain is a collection of all the projects and templates such as healthcare, banking, finance, tourism which is created by the site admin.
To create a domain we have to be a site admin or else we should have the permission to log in as an admin. Follow below steps to create a domain in ALM:
- On the left bottom side of our computer we have an option to start the application life cycle management icon. Right click on it and select the option to start application life cycle management .
- Sometimes we may get some error we have to repeat the process until we get started with the server.
- Type the URL in Internet Explorer as www.Localhost8080/qcbin. The ALM site is opened with below options:
- Before working, we have to create domain, project and users.
- For that, click the Site administration then Log in.
- Provide the id and password which you have created at the time of installation.
- Click the Create domain button at the left top of the ALM window. Provide the domain name.
- As the domain name is created, it appears on the right side of the window with default folders of properties and templates. We can create as many domains we want.
- Each Domain can consists of many projects
How to create a project in ALM?
A domain can have many projects. A project is process to develop a software for a client.
- Project consists the artefacts like Requirements, Test cases, Test sets, defects, Reports, Graphs.
- Consider an example of creating a project under the Banking Domain.
- Select the domain which you have already created that is Banking.
- Click on the Create project at the top of the window.
- As you click on the Create project button, a dialogue box is opened with four options like Create an empty project, Create a project from the template, Create a project by copying the data from the existing project, and Create a project by importing data from an exported project file.
- Select create an empty project option. Click next.
- Provide the name of the project without any empty spaces.
- Select the domain, click next, select the database which you have installed and click next.
- Add the project admins which you have created by clicking on the name of the admins on the left side and click arrow on the above to add.
- Select the domain as Banking for the project
- Lastly we get an option in the dialogue box, Click Next to activate the project and check it.