Pair testing is a type of software testing technique where two people test the same feature of application continuously at the same place, at the same time, on the same code, on same machine by exchanging ideas by this more ideas will be generated and it gives better test results. It is also called as Buddy testing. The testing pair can be any of the below:
- tester and tester
- tester and developer
- tester and user
Characteristics of pair testing:
- Pair testing will generate effective test cases quickly and cheaply. It is an open-ended defect finding mechanism.
- Having testers in pairs will allow managers to gather performance of testers in the groups
- Pair testing is best way of approach to mentor and train the fresher or new candidates in a team.
- Testing in pairs will definitely generate the positive energy within team.
- Pairing domain expert with tester to develop the domain knowledge within team.
There are benefits in pair testing:
- The developer can learn more about the software application by exploring with the tester.
- The root cause of bugs can be analysed easily and tester can more easily test the bug fix when working with developer.
- The developer will learn better design skills
- It helps to share the knowledge and new ideas can be discovered for better implementation of software.
- It promotes the negative testing.
- The validation of the software is done be two people, which increases the confidence in the quality of the software.
But, pair testing is rarely applicable to script testing where all the test cases are written. It is not suitable when testing is automated. The concept of code analysis will be well known throughout the software industry and less known about the pair testing. Two developers work together on the same code on the same machine. The main aim of this process is, to write considerably high quality code than the results which would generate from the individual coding.
- What is pair testing? Give examples?
- What are the challenges in pair testing?