SAP stands for systems, Applications and Products. The other name of online financial and administrative software. SAP is made up of individual modules which perform various organizational system tasks. The main products of SAP are SAP, ERP and SAP business objects software. SAP software consists of three tier architecture-database application server and client SAP GUI.
SAP Business suite contains five enterprise applications like SAP ERP, CRM(customer relationship management), Product Life cycle management(PLM), SCM(supply chain management), Supplier relationship management(SRM).
SAP testing is testing the functionality of these modules like ERP, CRM, PLM, SCM, SRM.
A SAP system undergoes various changes like patch management and fixes, new module implementations and various other configuration changes. SAP testing is a process of executing a transaction or system with a purpose to find errors. It is an event or activity aimed at evaluating an attributes and business capabilities of a transaction or system and determining that it meets its required results. Basically SAP testing is involved with testing SAP transactions and custom programs.
Why SAP testing is performed?
It is an important function in the growth of an organisation like
- System validation- SAP testing consists complete end-to-end testing and validation of all SAP modules in SAP ERP environment.
- Quality and Revenue- It is an output based testing and not like different conventional testing methods which are input based. It guarantees the quality of SAP testing and also focuses on revenue and cost of the organisation.
- Cost and predictability- SAP testing involves reducing the SAP development costs and improve predictability.
- Compliance Requirement- SAP testing guarantees that the SAP implementation is adapting to the new compliance requirements in a particular organisation and all the modules are working as per the expected configuration.
- Integration- SAP testing is performed to test various reports, data flows and work flows, GUI forms etc.
- Performance- It is also used to guarantee if the system will be able to meet the service level agreements time taken by the system to perform task and specific actions by the system.
SAP test scenario:
The test scenario describes as a standard end-end sales order without electing any custom code or oddball situations.
It contains many steps like:
There are transactional steps which contains the 24 steps which consist of Transaction code, Business process steps to run the data.
In step 1 – contains the actual test script with an scenario id, then security id then input is used as the data given as order type,customer , materials quantity. The expected result will be when we place order it gets a message as order is confirmed.
In step 2 – after the first test is completed in the next step validating the data is done and again this step is retested by the tester and after the final results it is passed to the next step. Likewise the test is done for all steps like checking the stock, checking the pricing, checking the persons details etc.
In the step 3 – finally testing with all the procedures by different testers order delivery is processed to the respective customers. It is tested by using different SAP testing tools.
The benefits achieved are:
- System validation
- Quality and Revenue
- Cost and predictability
- Compliance management