Testing of the functionality and effectiveness of any application or software is necessary before releasing them to production. In the modern-day, you need to test quickly as well as effectively. And if you use the traditional method of manual testing, it might not work for you. Hence, the need for automated testing arises. When it comes to testing automation, there is no other tool better than Selenium. Using the Selenium Web driver, you can create the test cases for various platforms and devices and get accurate and complete testing results. To create any testing script, you need a reliable programming language, and Java is one of them. The combination of Selenium and Java is a perfect blend, and it brings multiple advantages. Let us have a closer look at the combination of these two.
Selenium – What is it, and why?
Selenium is one of the most used and reliable open-source tools to automate the tests on multiple web browsers. In short, you can carry out the testing of web applications using Selenium. So, you do not have the option to test any desktop application or mobile application using this tool. Other numerous platforms are available in the market, such as HP’s QPT, IBM’s RFT, Appium, and several others. Even there are several other alternatives available, Selenium is still widely used. But why? What are the reasons automation testing using Selenium WebDriver is more convenient for developers and testers? Let us have a look at it.
What is a selenium web driver?
It is a collection of numerous open-source APIs that help developers conduct web application testing. So, one can use this tool and automate testing on popular web browsers such as Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and many others. Selenium web driver is one of the main components of the Selenium suite. The other selenium components are Selenium Grid, Selenium RC, Selenium Client API, and Selenium IDE.
As we mentioned already, it supports only web application testing, and you cannot test other software and mobile applications. But yet, it is used by numerous people. That means it must have strong reasons. For starters, it comes with open source licensing. Hence, you no need to pay anything for using the Selenium tools. However, the free of cost doesn’t impact many people unless combined with other cool features. Let us know the other benefits of Selenium testing.
- It is a platform-independent tool so that you can execute the testing on multiple platforms, including Windows, Mac, or Linux operating systems.
- Developers can carry out the tests using several browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, etc.
- It is not limited to any one of the programming languages. You can write and conduct the testing using Java, PHP, Ruby, Python, C#, .Net, and Perl. However, Java is widely used with Selenium.
- To get detailed reports and case management, you can integrate various tools such as JUnit and TestNG.
- Additionally, it can be integrated with Docker, Maven, and Jenkins to provide the continuous testing feature.
These are some of the primary advantages of Selenium. Hence it is getting more demand these days. If you want to learn about it in deep, you can enroll in the Complete step-by-step course and master this.
Why Selenium with Java?
Java and Selenium is the best combination to carry out web applications testing. We have listed a few advantages of using Selenium with Java.
- In the IT industry, Java is the most popularly used programming language. It is supported by a large community, and you can get colossal repository references on any topic related to Java.
- Among the Selenium users, approximately 75% of developers use Java. As a result, knowledge sharing becomes easier and quicker.
- It is in the IT industry for many years, and you can get an abundance of readily available APIs, Plugins, and frameworks to support Selenium testing.
- You can utilize the JVM function of Java and conduct your testing on any operating environment.
- In Java, you need to type statically; thus, Java IDE gives real-time feedback on errors during coding the testing.
These are a few advantages of using Selenium WebDriver and Java. Java naturally brings other advantages such as simplicity, easy to understand codes, etc.