After completing the basic python classes, many people choose to move forward in the web development field. But in Python for web development, you will get two main frameworks. They are Flask and Django. Python frameworks such as Django and Flask help to develop scalable applications rapidly. These frameworks allow them to do simple to complex sites. Out of the available numerous Python frameworks, Flask and Django have some similar features, but in some way, they are not the same. Hence many people get confused in choosing the right one. So, in this post, let us understand everything about these two frameworks and basic comparisons. This will help you determine the right framework for you.
It is one of the popular web frameworks in Python, and it takes care of several standard functions to build, maintain and secure websites. In this framework, a developer just needs to build logic rather than worrying about other things. It is one of the popular and open-source frameworks, and it has a large and active community to support. The community consists of several documents. This framework has no integration issue.
Key Features of Django
- The key feature of this framework is versatility. It can be used on any type of website, including social sites, content management, news sites, and many more. It works with formats like JSON, XML,HTML, etc.
- This framework is secure and automatically comes with security features such as transaction management, user account management, clickjacking, cross-site request forgery, etc.
- Django is scalable & maintainable. It follows principles and design patterns to maintain and reuse the code. It aptly suits the principle: don’t repeat yourself. Every layer of Django is independent and consequently makes the application scalable at all levels.
- Since Django is written using Python, it is portable. So one can run these codes anywhere.
It is a lightweight framework and hence known as a micro framework. This framework arrives with a few standard functions that enable the developers to integrate with any number of libraries and plugins for the extension. If you need an innovative and simple use case for your application, Flask is the ideal choice since it offers flexibility. It has a large amount of documentation and arrives with a small set of API that is easier to learn. If you are a beginner in Python, it is recommended to use Flask and start your web development process. It allows you to learn about both front-end and back-end core concepts. You can learn about these concepts in python for beginners courses.
Key Features of Flask
- During the development and implementation stage, it gives full control to the developer over the application.
- It has coherent & neat APIs.
- It arrives with a fast debugger and a built-in development server.
- Flask is easy and comes with a flexible configuration.
- It has HTTP requests and RESTful handling.
- It supports integrated unit tests.
Comparison between Flask and Django
Let us look at the head-to-head comparison to differentiate the two and decide.
FlaskDjangoLightweight framework with lesser featuresIt is a full-stack framework and follows batteries included approachThe developer needs to explore to control the application. Developers get full access to the common features, and hence it makes it faster.To handle admin tasks, it doesn’t have any features. It comes with a ready admin framework to customizeJinja2 is Flask’s template engine, and it is based on the template engine of Django.It has a built-in template engine, and it saves a lot of time.Here each project has to be a single project, and development and maintenance are not easy.The development and maintenance are easy since it allows the developer to split the project into small applications.Admin features are not as good as Django.Django has the built-in bootstrapping tool to help developers build apps without external input.It is single-threaded and may not do well under heavy load.It is a production-ready web framework.Flask is ideal for learners, but it is not as flexible and fast as Django.Django is popular since it provides many out-of-the-box features to make the development process easier.
To conclude, if you are a beginner, you can choose Flask, but to get advanced features, Django is best. You can learn python online and get to know more about these frameworks.