Scrum is a method for building complex software applications. It gives an easy solutions for executing complicated tasks. Scrum always helps the development team focus on all factors of the software products developing like quality, performance etc.
Key features of Scrum:
- Scrum has short fixed schedule of release cycles with adjustable scope which is known as sprints to address changing development needs. Each Scrum Project will have multiple release cycles
Repeating sequence of meetings, events and milestones.
Practice of testing and implementing new requirements which is known as stories, to make sure the work is released ready after each sprint.
Scrum has 3 pillars:
Roles in Scrum:
There are many roles in scrum they are:
- Product owner- defines features of the product. They mainly prioritise the features according to the market value profitability of the product. It is taken into responsibility for the profitability of the product. They can accept or reject work item result.
- Scrum master- It manages the team and look after the team’s productivity. They maintain the blocks list and removes barrier in the development. It shields team from external interferences. It invites the daily scrum sprint review and planning meetings.
- The Team- The team is usually about 5-9 members. It has developers, designers and sometimes testers etc. The team organises and schedule their work on their own.They has right to do everything within the boundaries of the project to meet the sprint goal.Actively participate in daily ceremonies.
A scrum process has:
- User Stories- These are known as short explanation of functionalities of the system under test example for insurance provider will be-premium which can be paid using online system.
- Product Backlog- It is a group of user stories captured for a scrum product.The product owner creates and maintains the product backlog. It will be given importance by the product owner and anyone who can add to it with the approval by the product owner.
- Release backlog- Release time frame in which the number of iterations is completed. The product owner co-ordinates with scrum master to decide which stories should be targeted for release. Stories in release backlog will be targeted to be completed in a release.
- Sprints- It is a process to complete the user stories, decided by product owner and developer team, with all steps of SDLC ,usually 2-4 weeks of time.
- Sprint backlog- It’s a tracking document of user stories or activities to be completed in a sprint. During sprint backlog, work is never assigned and also team signs up for work on their own. It is managed and owned by the team while the estimated work remaining is updated daily. It is the list of task that has to be performed in sprint.
- Block list- It is the list of blocks and not made decisions owned by the scrum master and updated daily.
- Burn down chart- Burn-down chart represents overall progress of the work and work completed throughout the process.
Ceremonies in scrum:
- Sprint planning- A sprint begins with the team important stories from the release backlog into the sprint backlog and it is hosted by scrum master.
- Daily scrum- It is hosted by scrum master it is last 15 minutes. Daily scrum, the members will discuss the work completed the previous day, planned work for the next day and issues faced during sprint.
- Sprint Review- It is also hosted by scrum master, it last about 2-4 hours and it discusses with team and accomplishes the last sprint tasks.
This is an important information that is used by the scrum team that helps to define the product and can what work that to be done to create the product. There are three artifacts in scrum. They are
1. Product backlog- will is the primary list of work that needs to get down and to be maintained by the product owner pr may be product manager. This is dynamic list of features, requirements, enhancements and fixes that acts as the input for the sprint backlog.
2. Sprint backlog- will be the list of items user stories or may be bug fixes, selected by the development team of the implementation in the current sprint cycle.
3. Increment- Will be usable end product from the sprint. The Atlassian, we may usually demonstrate the increment during the end of the sprint demo where the team shows what was completed in the sprint.
1. What is Scrum?
2. What is the purpose of scrum?