Software testing is a process of validating the computer system whether it meets the specified requirements and produces required desired results. In this article, the skills for software tester jobs are listed. The skills required can be either technical skills or HR skills that a software tester should have. The skills for software tester jobs – Technical Skills & HR Skills are listed in this article. The software testers should not only master these skills but this information can also be used for preparing the resume and preparing for interviews.
- Project Specific information: The various information of project and client requirements that include – Client and their business information, purpose and features of the software, number & type of end users, production environment, security features, database of the software etc. Tools: eg: MS Office.
- SDLC & STLC: The knowledge about the software development life cycle steps, SDLC models like Agile scrum, RUP are essential. The software testing steps and approaches like: analytical approach, model-based, methodical etc to test the software should be known. The testing types to test functional and non functional requirements of the software are also important skills required by the software testers.
- Functional testing skills- Manual testing & Automation testing: The software tester should understand the functional requirements of software. The functionalities can be tested either in manual way or using automation testing. Software tester should be able to understand and analyse the functional requirements, identify the defects and verify the requirements of client. Tools: eg: MS Office, automation tools like Selenium, UFT, cucumber, Test complete etc.
- Basic knowledge of database/SQL: The software has data to be stored in the database like customer information, business information, organisation information etc. Here the data will be stored in different backend on the database servers.So the data has to be validated to do so. The software tester has to validate the data in the database, test if the data gets updated into database through the user interface, test the data flows etc. So software tester should be able to write simple or complex sql queries. Tools: Database management systems like Microsoft Sql server database management system, oracle and MySQL etc are used to setup, manage and store the database.
- Test management & defect management tools: The software tester participate the testing activities as mentioned below:
- understand and analyse client requirements
- review the project documents
- communicate the errors to concerned person in team
- design test cases, test scenarios, test data, trace the requirements using the standard techniques available
- set up and verify the test environment
- co-ordinate with BA, other testers, test leaders, developers in the team
- execute the test cases and record the results
- report the defects to developers and track them until they are closed.
- assist the users during UAT
- participate in deployment process
- test metric gathering and reporting
So the testers use the test management tools or defect management tools (also called defect reporting & tracking tools). The examples of common tools used are: MS office – MS excel, MS word, ALM, jira, bugzilla, inbuilt tools etc
- Basic knowledge of Linux commands: Most of the applications are based on web services, databases, and applications servers are deployed on the Linux machine. It is better to have basic knowledge of other operating systems like UNIX, Android etc.
- Performance testing: Performance or speed or efficiency of software is a very important non functional feature of software to be tested. Tools: Loadrunner, SQL profiler etc
- Other technical skills: Different device testing like system testing, server testing, mobile testing on various types. Web services testing, SAP testing, ETL & Datawarehouse testing can also be required based on the type of project. Browser and system compatibility testing tools, usability testing, scalability testing are some more skills to be mastered.
- Knowledge in technologies like Digital transformation with Agile, Machine Learning in Testing, Increased adoption of DEVOPS, Big data testing, IOT testing and Test automation techniques.
The Soft skills or HR skills that a software Tester should have are:
- Analytical skills: Good software tester should have analytical skills. It helps in breaking up complex software system into smaller units, understand the requirements, analyse them and write the test design documents.
- Communication skills: A good software tester should be good in verbal and written communication skill. The defects are to be communicated in an objective manner to the developers to avoid the people issues in the team.
- Time management: Software testers should efficiently manage workload, have high productivity, exhibit time management and organizational skills, estimate the test effort and report to test leader.
- Great Attitude: To be good software you should have great positive attitude. An attitude test to break, detail orientation, willingness to learn and suggest improvements. Help the co testers, positive attitude towards developers and appreciate their effort in programming.
- Passion: A software must have passion for his profession or field.
- Urge for Continuous learning: The software tester should involve in continuous learning process- testing tools, update with new versions, testing procedures & techniques, testing standards, basic knowledge of other technologies to support the testing activities is important to excel in ones career.
- Documentation skills: Strong skills on documentation using MS office kind of tools.
- Critical analysis and out of box thinking.
The software testers are required to possess all the above skills. In addition, always be passionate about learning more what comes their way, explore, research, trouble shoot, co opertaive, sometimes even perform the additional roles though not a role of QA like co ordinate with client, etc if needed in the project or organisation should be the characteristics of successful QA career. The above content can be used while preparing the resume of a software tester and also interview preparation.