There are many categories of tools used for testing. And in each category, wide range of tools are commercialised by the different companies. In the category of automation testing tools, many tools like uft, selenium, rational tools and so on are listed. How to choose an automation testing tool becomes a witty decision to make.
Selection of automation testing tool for organisation:
To introduce the automation testing tools in the organisation, the automation testing tool is first evaluated in a pilot project. During the pilot project, the automation tool is learnt in detail. The guidelines to use the tool are identified. Then the tool is introduced in the organisation incrementally. Each time, after the project the information is gathered from the software testers. This information can be used for improving the usage guidelines for automation testing tools. The software testers are trained to use the new tools.
How to choose an automation testing tool?
The main criteria to choose the automation testing tool are listed below:
- the automation testing tool should meet the project requirement
- the ability of the automation testing tool to test the software developed with a specific technology
- usability of the automation testing tool by the automation testers
- compatibility of the automation testing tool with the test environment
- budget of the project
- check if the tool is a good fit in the organisational process
- ability of vendor of the automation testing tool to provide technical support
- trustworthiness of the vendor
- training needs within organisation to introduce new tool
- evaluation of efforts required to store the test assets generated from the tools
The software testers can identify the different tools, evaluate tools and provide the inputs to select the tool. The test manager evaluates and decides the tool to be used for the project.
Check your understanding:
1. List the popular automation testing tools and name of their companies